Thursday, March 13, 2014

A head by inches

I've decapitated more than one doll because I didn't like the way the head set on the body but to misjudge the size of the head - TWICE - on one doll makes me wonder if I've forgotten how to use a ruler.

Seems that even the thinnest layer of clay (less than 1/8") on a little egg gourd expands to an unacceptable size when the features are added.  I'm now working on gourd head number three.  I think this one will work - it's the smallest I have.  And looking through my small stash of doll making gourds, I think it's time to order some more.

When I tell someone that I make my dolls from gourds, dowels and chopsticks, almost always, they ask, "Gourds?"  Their first mental picture is of the gourd martin houses.  But gourds come in all shapes and sizes, from tiny one inch pears to four foot wash tub size.  I use egg gourds for heads and zucca gourds for the torso.  It sure saves a lot of clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment