Saturday, September 24, 2016

NOW I REMEMBER

--  why I made only one cloth doll before switching to clay.
I finally received the October project pattern and discovered that what I'd thought was a tightly woven fabric - was not, that the dolls hips and bust looked disproportionally large (so I narrowed the hips a bit),  and that no matter how fat I made the fingers, I still couldn't turn them.  So far, I've made a second pair of arms - that I can't turn past the wrist - and three heads.  I haven't tried stuffing head number three yet.  I'm glad I bought a half yard of the fabric.

But my very first discovery before ever cutting the first piece of fabric, was that the pattern itself seemed to be hand drawn without the use of a straight edge or curve.  Having been a drafter for so many years, I notice immediately when a thing, a pattern piece, isn't a mirror image when it's supposed to be.  I'm tempted to draw a Revision A of this pattern for my own use.  I couldn't sell Rev A because the (lopsided) original is copyrighted - and she's selling it for eight bucks a pop!

With so many other demands on my time, I doubt I'll have this project done for show and tell.  I'm thinking of just ditching the doll and making a dress for my unpainted manequin - and of course, it's not the pattern dress.  I didn't like it either, so did some research and came up with a dress I DID like.  A funny thought; not only do I think outside the box, I create my own box.

No comments:

Post a Comment