Saturday, August 16, 2014

My Constant Companion

My little toy poodle Sassy is an Alpha.  As such, she considers herself to be my boss. To a large degree, she is.  She has taught me how to read her signals.   If she comes to my chair and puts her paw on my arm , most times, this means 'follow me'.  So I go to the back door.  If she wants food instead of a potty break, she stops in front of the cabinet where I keep her food.  She can tell time, when her meals are served, when it's time to get the mail, that she must go sit in her chair when someone comes to the door.  I've had to insist on this, because she will joyfully jump on all visitors and most visitors encourage this (bad) behavior.  So I'm training family, friends and neighbors as well;  no fussing over the dog unless she is in her chair.

Sassy isn't a cuddler and she doesn't like to be picked up and carried around.  But she will always be in the same room with me, quite often on my desk, looking out the window, watching squirrels and traffic.  Or she will lay with her chin just as close to my hand as she can. - with out getting her nose bumped by the mouse.  I can't imagine a dog owner who wouldn't admit in a heart beat, that the mere presense of their dog in the same room is comforting.   That love is worth every minute, every cent of their care.

No comments:

Post a Comment